Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)
Light is a powerful symbol and practical necessity. Without it, we wouldn’t have night time events. In chapter 8, Jesus is teaching in Jerusalem during the feast of Tabernacles. Large lamp stands were placed in the Temple Court to illuminate the way for pilgrims. Light takes on a symbolic and theological image in this context as well. We understand light as a reference to the darkness of sin, “In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (1:4-5)
Looking further into chapter 9, we see that light is more appropriately juxtaposed with blindness. Those who are confident in their own “light” (idea that they possess the wisdom to turn from darkness” are blind. Jesus is the light which guides the pilgrims and restores sight. He gives the true direction and dispels the darkness of sin.
Thus far, Jesus is a gift given by the Father, to dispel sin and error curing our ignorant blindness.
- Bergant, Dianne C.S.A., and Robert J. O.F.M Karris. The Collegeville Bible Commentary. Collegeville, Minnesota: The Liturgical Press, 1986.
- Brown, Raymond D. S.S., Joseph A, S.J. Fitzymer, and Roland E, O. Carm. Murphy, . The Jerome Biblical Commentary. Vol. I and II. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc., 1968.
- Hunt, Michal. "The 7 Symbolic "I Am" Metaphors of John's Gospel." Agape Catholic Bible Study. AgapeBibleStudy.com, 2007. Web. 21 June 2015. <http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/charts/Seven%20Days%20and%20Seven%20I%20AMs%20in%20John's%20Gospel.html>.
- Just, Rev. Felix, Ph. D. "Christology in the Fourth Gospel." Catholic Resources for Bible, Liturgy, Art, and Theology. Felix Just, S. J., 8 July 2013. Web. 21 June 2015. <http%3A%2F%2Fcatholic-resources.org%2FJohn%2FThemes-Christology.htm>.
- Just, Rev. Felix, Ph. D. "I AM" Sayings in the Fourth Gospel." Catholic Resources for Bible, Liturgy, Art, and Theology. Felix Just, S. J., 11 July 2012. Web. 12 June 2015. <http://catholic-resources.org/John/Themes-IAM.htm>.
- Lewis, Scott M. The Gospel According to John and the Johannine Letters. Collegeville, MI: Liturgical, 2005. Print.
- Martin, Francis. The Gospel of John. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2015. Print.
- Mays, James L., et al., . Harper's Bible Commentary. New York City, New York: Harper San Francisco: a Divison of Harper Collins Publishers, 1988.
- Wilson, Neil S., and Linda K. Taylor. Handbook of Bible Charts & Maps. Carol Stream, Illinois: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 2001.
I AM the Light of the World
4/ 5Oleh JIM Woodmansee